Saturday, May 14, 2011

Answer Honest.

How much of your relationship is based on appearance? With your spouse, friends, even your parents and children? The other night, my mom made me watch a 20/20 with her, and I don't know if anybody else caught it, but the story was about a mother and wife who was in a fatal plane crash with her husband and family friend, which ended in a fire in the plane, and then caught onto a pile of logs near the plane. Anyway, long story short(er), she had about 60-70% of her body burned or something, and was in a coma for about 3 months, and doctors had to reconstruct her entire face structure, and her arms, and legs were very severely burned. This was about 2-3 years ago, and since then, she has been to numerous surgeries and laser treatments, but at first, even her children were afraid of her. When they first had gone to met her, they had refused to go in. Her 18 month old didn't even know who she was. But this got me thinking, it might be because they repeated this a million times during the program, how much of our daily relationships are based after our appearance? Because, I wether people ask it straight out or just give wary eyes, Nora and I don't look similar. But I don't think it's stopped us from being sisters. We will always look different, always. And one day she'll probably want to talk about this, and nowadays sometimes I think that she knows it. Actually, I know that she knows this, because she's a smart cookie. But this doesn't stop her from running, jumping, tickling, kissing and playing with me. Just like it doesn't stop those kids from loving and playing with their own mum.
-Emma

(p.s. Link to Stephanie's amazing blog, where you can read her full story and probably more accurate one- http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment