Thursday, April 21, 2011

A new beginning...



So, yesterday was Nora's official adoption day...a day when our agency is no longer considered her legal guardian and Nora officially became a Kutscher and an American citizen..all in the matter of about 3o minutes! As I sat in the court room at the table with Nora in my lap I felt surrounded both physically and emotionally by the people that mean the most to me...I tried my best to really be in the moment and enjoy the day because this has been such a long road. My thoughts wandered a bit to Nora's birthmother, especially when the judge asked if anyone had any objection to Nora becoming part of our family...I couldn't help but think of her first mom and the sacrifices she made so that Nora could be sitting on my lap on April 2oth, 2011. I know I have said this before, but I think it bears repeating...adoption is a wonderful thing but it does not come without loss...for Nora and her birth family...I still see moments of grief with Nora and I know that she is grieving what she has lost and someday she will be able to put words to that loss but now it comes out in different ways, in ways that only a toddler can express loss.

I was able to have contact with Nora's foster family the day before her finalization and when I told them of her special day they said, "oh Nora will have a second birthday now..." they felt that this final step was a new beginning for Nora, a beginning that she never would have had if it wasn't for their love and devotion to her for 10 months in Korea. I will be forever grateful for the love that they surrounded Nora with before we even knew she would be our daughter...

So, as we journey forward as an official family of six I feel so blessed to have family and friends in my life that were a part of this dream from the very beginning. I felt you lift me up so many times. You all made this road so much easier to walk.

Thank you...so much.
Kelly

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully special day! I am so happy for everyone in your family, especially Nora! How great that you were able to share the news of her day with her foster family too! Love the picture of you with Nora!! Congratulations momma!

    ReplyDelete